High expectations are the backbone of school districts that have high graduation rates. To this end, each semester, we expect every student to have 100% attendance in every class, every school day and no tardies.
There may be an occasion with a valid/legitimate parent excuse that a student can be excused from school. In the event a student will be absent, the parents are expected to call the school before 8:00 am or send a written note with the student when they return to school. Students will have the right to make-up homework for excused absences for full credit within five school days of their return to school. Extenuating circumstances will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Legitimate excuses are:
2. Medical/dental appointment
3. Court Date
4. Bereavement for a close family relative
5. Pre-arranged absence
All other absence will be considered unexcused. Extenuating circumstances will be dealt with on a case by case basis. If a student "sluffs" no assignments/homework will be allowed to be made up. All absences need to be excused within three days after returning back to school.
After School Hours
All students must be out of building and off campus by 3:00 pm unless under the supervision of a teacher, coach, or advisor.
Attendance on Activity and Game Days
Students who participate in any after school activities must attend all scheduled classes on the day of the activity or game. There may be extenuating circumstances that may arise which may cause the student not to be present in some or all classes for the day. It is the responsibility of the student to contact their designated secretary so they are excused for those classes. Truancies may result in the students missing the next activity or game.
Students must check out through the attendance secretary whenever they leave school. A parental contact via a note, phone call or in person must be made before the student leaves. When a student is returning back to school they must check in with their Designated secretary. Any student who fails to check out of school missing their scheduled classes will be considered unexcused/truant.
* Class work or tests missed because of an excused absence or a school activity must be promptly made up. The work must be completed within 5 school days. If it is made up within this time, full credit will be given.
* It is the responsibility of each student to make contact with their individual teachers to arrange for his/her own make-up work when absent, whether it is due to illness, suspension, vacation or other school parental excused activities.
* To arrange for make-up work, a student and/or parent may contact the student's designed secretary to excuse the absence(s), then talk with each individual teacher directly, get the work beforehand, or pick up the homework when he/she returns to school.
* When a student's absence is unexcused, the school is under no obligation to provide for make-up work or examinations.
* Any student who is leaving out of town will need to have prior administrator approval.
* Before the absence, students must obtain and return to their designated secretary a "Pre-Arranged Request" form signed by each teacher and parent/guardian.
Parent Notification of Absences
BLHS uses the district school messenger system to notify parents of student absenteeism. These calls occur during the evening and are strictly for absences, not tardies. If parents are not aware of their students absences or tardies they may call the attendance secretary for more information or check online.
* Suspensions do count as an excused absence.
* Students will be allowed to make up assignments/homework/quizzes/tests missed while suspended to be completed within 5 school days of returning to school for full credit.
* Work turned in after 5 school days may incur an additional penalty to be determined by the teacher.
A tardy is given when a student is not present in the assigned classroom by the end of the bell.
Truancy is considered an unexcused absence and will result in afterschool detention.
Parents may access their student's attendance records via internet at www.sis.ogdensd.org. Passwords are available from the student's advisor and designated secretary.
A parent or guardian may request instructional materials for a student if an accident or illness necessitates more than three consecutive days of absence. Homework requests for more than three days absence may require a doctor's note. In cases of long-term illness, a request should be made to the administration for Home and Hospital instructions. Requests need to be made with your secretary.
Patricia Zahos-Roybal 801-737-7906.